Windows Desktop Icons Not Showing Unless You Refresh
When you are saving a file from an application to your desktop but the icon doesn’t show up unless you “refresh” the desktop by hitting F5. Seems like an issue with the Icon Cache. Here is a work around:
How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Note: %userprofile% represents the path to user profile folder.
1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.